In "The Rockpile", John and Roy do not always receive the same treatment from the adults in their family. Have you ever felt that you or someone else in your family was treated differently from everyone else? What caused the difference, and do you think it was fair? Explain.
Prompt: In "The Rockpile", John and Roy do not always receive the same treatment from the adults in their family. Have you ever felt that you or someone else in your family was treated differently from everyone else? What caused the difference, and do you think it was fair? Explain.
Prompt Response: I often feel that my older brother is treated differently than me. In my eyes, he is spoiled by my mom and never gets in trouble. My parents are much harder on me than on him, and it gets really tiring when I see them allowing him to be rude and lazy, because they would never allow that of me. I think the reason for the difference in their behavior towards him is because he is neurodivergent. To me, this is unfair, because he is a fully functioning and very smart adult, so it's unfair that they baby him when he is capable of just as much as I am.
Summary: Today in class we finished reading and answering questions about “The Rockpile” by James Baldwin.
Reflection: When discussing The Rockpile, listening to my classmates answer the questions intrigued me and expanded my understanding of the story. Many of my classmates shared their answers, which differed from mine, and helped me to create a deeper understanding of the story. For example, I thought John was to blame for Roy's behavior, but after listening to other classmates I realized that it was actually the fathers fault.
Comments
Post a Comment