In “The Rockpile,” the children know that the rockpile is dangerous and that they are supposed to stay away from it, but curiosity still draws them toward it. Think about a time when curiosity or temptation caused you to ignore a warning or rule. What happened, and what did you learn from the experience?

 Prompt: In “The Rockpile,” the children know that the rockpile is dangerous and that they are supposed to stay away from it, but curiosity still draws them toward it. Think about a time when curiosity or temptation caused you to ignore a warning or rule. What happened, and what did you learn from the experience?

Prompt Response: A time when curiosity has caused me to ignore a rule is during school when my phone buzzes, and I want to check what the notification is. We have a no phone policy at school, but sometimes the temptation gets the best of me and I check my phone. Usually nothing happens, but sometimes teachers get upset. I have learned to follow the rules to avoid upsetting teachers and getting my phone taken.
Summary: Today in class we read “The Rockpile” by James Baldwin.
Reflection: I thought this story was interesting and an enjoyable read, but it also got uncomfortable at some points when there were conflicts between the father and the rest of the family. I thought James Baldwin did a good job of storytelling abuse and familial conflicts because I could feel the fear in John through the text.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you could change one rule at school, at home, or in society, what would it be? Using a claim of policy, make an argument for why that rule should change, using at least two reasons to support your claim.

Write about a moment when you had to step out of your comfort zone.

Imagine someone could learn about you only by looking through your trash can. What three items might they find in your trash today, and what would each item reveal about your personality, habits, interests, or life right now?