If someone were using the STEAL method to characterize you, how would they describe you? Select all parts of STEAL and explain what they reveal about your personality.

 Prompt: Today, we learned about the two types of characterization: direct and indirect characterization. We then applied what we learned by analyzing characters from James Baldwin’s “The Rockpile” using the STEAL method: Speech, Thoughts, Effect on Others, Actions, and Looks. Now, apply characterization to yourself. If someone were using the STEAL method to characterize you, how would they describe you? Select all parts of STEAL and explain what they reveal about your personality.

Use specific examples. For example, what do your actions reveal about you? What does the way you speak reveal? How do you affect others? What might your thoughts or appearance communicate about who you are? Write one full paragraph.
Prompt Response: For speech, I usually talk loudly, confidently, and sometimes harshly. This shows that I'm outgoing, but I can also be perceived as rude for my tone of voice. For thoughts, I often think about my personal image and how others perceive me. This shows that I'm very self-aware, and at times insecure. This conflicts with my speech, because I talk very outgoingly, but I think self-consciously. For effect on others, some people have said I've been very helpful in organizing and managing events or clubs. This shows that I enjoy being in a leadership role and involving myself. For actions, I like to go out often and experience new things, but I also try to balance it with my school life. This shows that I prioritize my education through my actions, like doing homework, but I also like to spend my free time doing other things. For looks, I dress alternatively and wear darker colors. This shows that I don't care to fit into normal standards, and that I prefer to stay true to myself by expressing my unique style and looks. Overall, through STEAL, I can be characterized as outgoing, a leader, unique, smart, and honest.
Summary: Today in class we used STEAL to characterize “The Rockpile” characters.
Reflection: Today I learned how to better understand and analyze characters from books and shows by using STEAL. I'm now able to use context clues to infer things about characters that the author or narrator may not specifically state.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you could change one rule at school, at home, or in society, what would it be? Using a claim of policy, make an argument for why that rule should change, using at least two reasons to support your claim.

Write about a moment when you had to step out of your comfort zone.

Imagine someone could learn about you only by looking through your trash can. What three items might they find in your trash today, and what would each item reveal about your personality, habits, interests, or life right now?