In Emily Dickinson’s “I Felt a Funeral, in My Brain,” the speaker experiences a mind that seems to work against her. Sometimes our own thoughts can make a situation feel worse than it actually is. Describe a time when overthinking, worrying, or doubting yourself affected the way you handled a situation. What did you learn from the experience?

 Prompt: In Emily Dickinson’s “I Felt a Funeral, in My Brain,” the speaker experiences a mind that seems to work against her. Sometimes our own thoughts can make a situation feel worse than it actually is. Describe a time when overthinking, worrying, or doubting yourself affected the way you handled a situation. What did you learn from the experience?

Prompt Response: One time that I doubted myself and it affected the way I handled a situation was last school year during my AP Seminar task two presentation. When I neared the end of my presentation, I forgot some of what I was talking about. I doubted myself and started to mess up and forget my words. I unfortunately could not retake the presentation since it was for collegeboard, but I learned to never doubt myself or panic during a presentation, and to just keep going and act confident. Overall it was a good learning experience because I ended up getting a 4 on the exam anyways, so I still got a good grade and was able to learn.

Summary: Today in class we read and analyzed “I Felt a Funeral, in My Brain,” by Emily Dickinson. 

Reflection: Dickinson's analogy of a funeral representing her losing her mind made me develop a deeper respect for poetry because I didn't understand the poem on my own until it was explained to me in class. I realized that all poems and literary works have a deeper understanding, and that I should search harder to find them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you could change one rule at school, at home, or in society, what would it be? Using a claim of policy, make an argument for why that rule should change, using at least two reasons to support your claim.

Write about a moment when you had to step out of your comfort zone.

Imagine someone could learn about you only by looking through your trash can. What three items might they find in your trash today, and what would each item reveal about your personality, habits, interests, or life right now?